Visit of Federal Secretary, Ministry of Science and Technology to Pakistan Academy of Sciences, Islamabad
Mr. Nadeem Irshad Kayani, Federal Secretary, Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), Government of Pakistan visited the Pakistan Academy of Sciences (PAS) on June 30, 2021, to discuss the PAS’s functions and constructive dialogue between the Ministry of Sciences and Technology and the Pakistan Academy of Sciences for Science, Technology and Innovation based development in the country. Prof. Dr. Tasawar Hayat, Secretary General PAS welcomed the Federal Secretary MoST and his colleagues Mr. Zahir Shah (Joint Secretary MoST) and Dr. S. Zaheer Hussain (Dir. Policy Wing, MoST). Prof. Dr. Anwar ul Hasan Gilani (Fellow PAS & VC, University of Haripur) was also present in the meeting. Dr. Riffat M. Qureshi (Director Administration PAS) gave an overview of the PAS scientific and academic activities. There was valuable discussion among participants to streamline the mechanism for S & T development and innovation. In the meeting, the following recommendations were given;
- There is a need to groom the youth in Pakistani Schools and Colleges for awareness about scientific developments and innovative technology.
- In Pakistan the component of supply and demand is facing an issue, Students usually opt for conventional natural science subjects (such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths). Similarly, engineering students opt for conventional engineering subjects (Such as Electrical, Mehcanical, Chemical, Civil engineering, etc.) as a career. This practice is posing a dearth of human resources in other very important innovation disciplines such as Artificial Intelligence, aerospace engineering, Cyber Security, and Robotics, etc.
- There is a need for technical education alongside Conventional education to acquire technology based change to compete the world in scientific and industrial developments.
- Venture capital is a big resource and to utilize maximum benefits, it should be invested property at right time.
- In Pakistan, Institutions/Organizations have a tradition of doing similar work at different platforms such as practice is a waste of resources and must be optimized for maximum benefit.
Secretary MoST appreciated PAS for the establishment of “Scientific Advice to Government Unit/Policy Unit”and the effort of its official/experts in reviewing and up-gradation of policy documents including S & T policy 2021. He also appreciated the idea of the PAS policy unit to join hands with Industrial stakeholders to upgrade policy documentation in a professional manner. Secretary General assured Secretary MoST of his utmost and timely cooperation and collaboration in matters related to Science, technology and Innovation.
Furthermore, Secretary MoST elaborated that PAS hosts a very useful think tank of its Fellows in almost all domains of interest to the Ministry. Therefore, officials of MoST and PAS must meet frequently in matters related to S & T for proper solutions and advice to Government.